Phillip E. Harrison is an artist and designer who is producing fine art and architectural sculpture, a private consultant, an industrial manufacturing designer, and a design/build architecture professional.
Penumbra Design was established in 1988 as a Design/Build Studio. Our work ranges in media type and scale, from holographic artwork and holographic optical elements to engineered cast metals and composites for aviation and ground transportation to decorative forgings and architectural installations.
Under the leadership of Phillip E. Harrison, Penumbra Design Studio has designed, produced, and installed public art sculpture, lead lectures/demonstrations and programs on historic trades/preservation, industrial manufacturing technologies and fine art and architectural sculpture across The United States and in France and Great Britain.
His most significant award is The Tonypandy Cup as a contributing artist (part of the Globe Theater Restoration Project — London, England)
He is an active member of:
- Education Chair TriState Sculptors
- Early American Industries Association
- Society for Industrial Archaeology
- Artist Blacksmith Association of North America
- The Timber Framers Guild of North America
- The American Foundry Society
- Steel Founders’ Society of America
- Airplane Owners and Pilots Association
- Experimental Aircraft Association
Previous appointments include:
- The Educational Chairperson — Tri-State Sculptors
- Director of Visual Arts — Chesapeake Arts Center — MD, USA
- Senior Instructor at the School of Medieval Stone Construction, Aix-en Provence, France
Phillip E. Harrison also continues to lecture and demonstrate and develop educational programs in:
- Historic trades and industries
- Fine art sculpture
- Advanced industrial manufacturing technologies
In pursuit of this effort, we have developed two main projects:
- Overture. A program in architecture. With a mission to produce and donate a site / structure to an artist(s), educator(s) or educational facility(s), actively elevating the creativity and people within their community.
- Mistion. A program in both historic and contemporary industrial manufacturing technologies, with a mission to support historic districts, museums / cultural edifices and public sites, and historic and developing innovative transportation modes.